- Topic Areas:
- Clinical Demonstration
- Brief Therapy Conference | Brief Therapy Conference 2018 | Online Continuing Education
- Reid Wilson, PhD
- Course Levels:
- Master Degree or Higher in Health-Related Field
- Audio Only
- Original Program Date :
- Dec 08, 2018
Those who succumb to the spell of obsessive-compulsive disorder conjure up a potion of avoidance and resistance as their only means of control. How do you move someone toward anxious uncertainty when their heart, mind and soul are committed to finding certainty and comfort? Participants will learn a persuasive strategy–built out of whole cloth within the first session–that will frame the entire treatment protocol. Participants will see how to collaborate with the client in designing behavioral experiments to test out this strategy.
- Logically and persuasively construct a therapeutic, internally-consistent paradoxical frame of reference for an OCD client.
- Teach OCD clients how to activate this new frame of reference moment-by-moment while approaching and engaging threatening situations.
- Explain how to use reappraisal to activate “approach” emotions during exposure.
*Sessions may be edited for content and to preserve confidentiality*
Reid Wilson, Ph.D, is a licensed psychologist who directs the Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center. He is also Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages.